top of page

Combined collections

Ipswich Transport Museum5.jpeg
London Transport Museum

The London Transport Museum documents the history of transport in London.

The main part of the museum's collections are housed in a large building formerly used as a flower market.

The museum's collections include many buses, trams and rail vehicles. In connection with the refurbishment of the Covent Garden building, most of the exhibits were moved to a depository on Gunnersbury Lane, a large purpose-built complex. The Depository is open for several weekends a year and for booked guided tours.

The museum has undergone extensive refurbishment in recent years and is now open to the public again. The main building in Covent Garden was closed to the public due to an extensive refurbishment which was completed in 2007


Depository at Acton

The depository in Acton houses a large number of collection items. It is usually open to the public twice a year on weekends. It is possible to order a paid tour even outside public hours.


Visit us


Covent Garden, London


+44 343 222 5000

Opening hours


8:00  – 18:00 


Beamish Museum

Beamish Museum is an open-air museum located at Beamish, near the town of Stanley, in County Durham, England. The museum's guiding principle is to preserve an example of everyday life in urban and rural North East England at the climax of industrialisation in the early 20th century.

Much of the restoration and interpretation is specific to the late Victorian and Edwardian eras, together with portions of countryside under the influence of industrial revolution from 1825. On its 300 acres (120 ha) estate it uses a mixture of translocated, original and replica buildings, a large collection of artifacts, working vehicles and equipment, as well as livestock and costumed interpreters.

The museum has received a number of awards since it opened to visitors in 1972 and has been influential on other living museums. It is an educational resource, and also helps to preserve some traditional north-country and rare livestock breeds


Visit us


Beamish Museum
County Durham


+44 191 370 4000  

Black Country2.jpg

Black Country Living Museum

The Black Country Living Museum (formerly The Black Country Museum) is an open-air museum of rebuilt historic buildings in Dudley, West Midlands, England. It is located in the centre of the Black Country, 10 miles west of Birmingham. The museum occupies 105,000 square metres (26 acres) of former industrial land partly reclaimed from a former railway goods yard, disused lime kilns, canal arm and former coal pits.


The museum opened to the public in 1978, and has since added over 50 shops, houses and other industrial buildings from around the Metropolitan Boroughs of Dudley, Sandwell and Walsall and the City of Wolverhampton (collectively known as the Black Country); mainly in a specially built village. Most buildings were relocated from their original sites to form a base from where demonstrators portray life spanning 300 years of history, with a focus on 1850-1950.

The museum continues to evolve, as further buildings and other exhibits are added

Black Country3
Black Country5
Black Country
Black Country1
Black Country4

Visit us


Black Country Living Museum
Tipton Road
West Midlands
DY1 4SQ. 


+44 121 557 9643


East Anglia Transport Museum

The East Anglia Transport Museum is an open-air transport museum, with numerous historic public transport vehicles (including many in full working order). It is located in Carlton Colville a suburb of Lowestoft, Suffolk. It is the only museum in the country where visitors can ride on buses, trams and trolleybuses, as well as a narrow-gauge railway.

The museum was founded on its present site in 1965, following the rescue of the body of an old Lowestoft tram (number 14) which had been used for a number of years as a summerhouse. The site at Carlton Colville was formerly a meadow, donated by the founder and first chairman of the Museum Society. The first buildings on the site were constructed in 1966, but it was not until 1981 that full tram and trolleybus operations could commence following the construction of a suitable roadway.

The Museum's narrow gauge railway (the "East Suffolk Light Railway") opened in 1973


Visit us


East Anglia Transport Museum,
Chapel Road,
Carlton Colville,
NR33 8BL 


+44 1502 518459


Wirral Tramway &  Wirral Transport Museum

Wirral Transport Museum is a museum situated approximately 0.5 miles (800 m) from the Mersey Ferry service at Woodside, Birkenhead, England.


A vintage tram service links the museum and the ferry at certain times. Admission into the museum is free with a broad selection of vintage and classic vehicles, including trams, buses, cars, motorcycles, mopeds, bikes, and a fire engine. It also includes views of ongoing projects in the museum's workshops, a 26 feet long model railway layout, a reconstructed 1930s garage scene and various other transport-related static exhibits.

The museum was established in 1995 as the tram shed for the Wirral Tramway. In 2009, as part of its Strategic Asset Review, owners Wirral Borough Council planned to dispose of the museum, transferring it to a Community Development Trust. It recommended that "... the specialist role of the Transport Museum be protected as far as possible." By 2014, the council was in discussions to hand over management of the museum to a volunteer organisation.The museum volunteers and its staff look forward to developing the museum further

Merseyside Tramway Preservation Society

The Merseyside Tramway Preservation Society is one of the UK's best known transport restoration groups, originally founded in 1960 by students from Liverpool University who wanted to save one of the city's famous 'Green Goddesses' then operating in Glasgow. Since then the society has grown to include people from all walks of life and has resurrected more than half a dozen trams from abandoned wrecks. Today, its collection richly illustrates the evolution of Britain's first-generation tramways from the days of horse-drawn and steam trams to fully enclosed electric chassis. There is also a single-deck continental tram and a 1940s trolley maintenance car. The historic vehicles now operate on the mile-long Wirral Heritage Tramway, with spectacular views of Liverpool's world-famous waterfront, and perform a unique educational and recreational function, allowing the public and school trips to enjoy a nostalgic journey back in time.


Visit us


1 Taylor Street


CH41 1BG


+44 151 647 2128

Opening hours


1:00  – 4:00 p.m.


1:00  – 4:00 p.m.


The return tram fare in 2018  was £2.00 for adults, £1.00 for children     (5-15 years ) and persons with a discount.


Ulster Folk & Transport Museum

The Ulster Folklore and Transport Museum was established to illustrate the way of life and traditions of the people of Northern Ireland. Exhibits include a large collection of historic locomotives, wagons and cars from standard and narrow gauge railways. Also trams, cars, vans and trucks; aircraft and naval history.

The Ulster Folk & Transport Museum can be found in   Belfast on the Bangor Road (A2) near Holywood. We are approximately 7 miles or 15 minutes east of Belfast city center and are easily accessible by road, rail and bus.


Visit us



Opening hours

Culture, Hollywood
Northern Ireland
BT18 0EU

Phone: +44 (0) 28 9042 8428

Fax: +44 (0) 28 9042 8728

Mon - Sun

10:00 am – 5:00 pm


Pallot Steam, Motor & General Museum

Lyndon Charles Pallot, popularly known as "Don", was born in Trinity Parish, Jersey, and educated at the parochial school. He was interested in mechanics from an early age and after leaving school at 14 he began rebuilding bicycles until he became an apprentice with the Jersey Railways, where his passion for steam was born.

In the early 1930s, Don opened the Central Motor Works agricultural factory in Sion, Trinity, which became so well known throughout the island. He was a brilliant engineer who enjoyed solving mechanical problems, and his ingenuity led him to invent several tools to make life easier for Jersey farmers.

On display today at the museum is a Pallot Elevator Digger, a last-furrow reversing plough, a single-furrow reversing plough, a Côtil Winch tractor winch and a two-point transport box on a tractor. His ability to improvise proved invaluable during the difficult years of Jersey's occupation by the Germans.

It was in his home in Zion that Don raised a large family of 6 sons and 5 daughters with his devoted wife "Dolly" (62 years). The Ransomes, Simms & Jefferies traction engine was named "Dolly May" in her honor.

A man of great vision, Don began collecting what he could from our engineering heritage and his ambitions were realized in 1990 with the opening of the Pallot Museum of Steam. There is no doubt that but for his persistent interest, which he maintained over many years, much of what can be seen today would have been lost forever. The locomotives were brought from the mainland, Belgium and Alderney and lovingly restored to form part of his extensive and varied collection. Don sadly passed away at the age of 85, but his memory lives on in his museum, which his family has the honor of continuing to run.


Visit us



The Pallot Steam, Motor & General Museum
rue de Bechet,
Channel Islands.

From Europe: 044 1534 865307

From UK: 01534 865307


Brooklands Museum

The site, where the first complete racing circuit was built in 1907, has been home to magnificent automobile and aeronautical collections since 1991. Since 2011, it has grown to include a collection of buses that moved here from the Cobham Museum, whose premises gave way to housing development. Included Brooklands Museum  is also one of the Concorde aircraft from the verification series. A portion of the original incline track has been preserved and is occasionally seen during the presentation of the museum's exhibits.

 The museum's collections consist of three parts


Visit us


Brooklands Rd,


KT13 0SL


+44 1932 857381

A single entrance fee applies to all exhibitions. There is a surcharge of £6/£3 for Concorde boarding only


Amberley Museum

Amberley Museum is set in 36 acres in the South Downs National Park. The museum is dedicated to the industrial heritage of South-Eastern Europe and its exhibits include a narrow-gauge railway and a bus service (both of which allow free nostalgic travel around the grounds), a Connected Earth telecommunications hall, a power generation hall, a printing workshop and much more. Traditional trades such as stained glass, blacksmithing and pottering are also represented at the museum, plus there is a fabulous restaurant, gift shop and numerous picnic areas to enjoy the wonderful surroundings.

The main operating railway is 2 feet gauge, but the collection also includes static exhibits from various other gauges. The museum usually hosts three special railway events each year: the Industrial Trains event in April and October, and a weekend gala in July, which includes a model railway show. .

Amberley 1

Visit us



Amberley Museum
New Barn Road,
Near Arundel,
West Sussex,
BN18 9LT 

01798 831370


Museum of Transport, Greater Manchester

The museum was established in 1977 at Boyle Street, Cheetham Hill. It opened to the public on 27 May 1979. The day-to-day running of the museum is carried out by volunteers.

The museum is housed in a former Manchester Corporation Transport bus depot, to the rear of a former electric tram shed on Queens Road, built in 1901. The museum building itself was added later and consists of two distinct halves, a dedicated bus garage completed in 1928, which now serves as the museum entrance area and upper hall, and a lower hall which was created in 1935 by constructing a roof over the open space between the tram shed and the 1928 bus depot. The former tram shed is still in use today as a bus depot, occupied by Go North West.The whole block of buildings was Grade II listed in 1988 for its historical significance.


Visit us


Museum of Transport,
Boyle Street,


 M8 8UW


 0161-205 2122


Scottich Bus museum6.jpg

Scottish Vintage Bus Museum         &             Lathalmond Railway Museum

Scottish Vintage Bus Museum and Lathalmond Railway Museum, located north of Dunfermline on shared land. These are two separate museums 

Visit us


M90 Commerce Park,



KY12 0SJ


01383 623380 Bus Museum

Bus museum

Train museum

Ipswich Transport Museum2.jpeg

Ipswich Transport Museum

The Ipswich Transport Museum is a museum in Ipswich, Suffolk, England, devoted principally to the history of transport and engineering objects made or used in its local area.
The museum collection was started by the Ipswich Transport Preservation Group in 1965. In 1988 it obtained use of its present premises, the old Priory Heath trolleybus depot in Cobham Road, and has been opened to the public since 1995.
Its collection of more than 100 large objects includes buses trams, trolley- and motor-buses from Ipswich Corporation Transport, the Eastern Counties Omnibus Company and other local operators; commercial vehicles; fire apparatus; mobile cranes; bicycles; biers; horse-drawn vehicles; prams; and wheelchairs. There is a good representation of the Ipswich manufacturers Ransomes, Sims & Jefferies and Ransomes & Rapier and of electric vehicles.
Local rail and waterway transport and aviation are represented mainly by photographic collections and smaller exhibits. The Museum also houses an archive and library together with costume and ticket collections.
The Museum is a registered charity, and is normally open to visitors on Sundays (11am to 4pm) from April to November; and on weekday afternoons during school holidays (1pm to 4pm). It also organises occasional events including the annual Ipswich to Felixstowe Run for vintage vehicles on the first Sunday in May, from Christchurch Park, Ipswich to the Promenade in Felixstowe.

Ipswich Transport Museum4
Ipswich Transport Museum6
Ipswich Transport Museum5
Ipswich Transport Museum3
Ipswich Transport Museum
Ipswich Transport Museum1

Visit us



The Old Trolleybus Depot
Cobham Road



01473 715666


Hollycombe Working Steam Museum

The Hollycombe Steam Collection takes its name from the Hollycombe estate which a century ago covered 4,000 acres, much of which can be seen from the Quarry Railway. At about this time, the superb gardens were planted with over a million trees.
In 1951, the estate was purchased by the late John Baldock and his family and it is through them that the steam collection began. Mr Baldock developed a love of steam power at a very early age and, following the end of the Second World War, he realised that many road steam engines were being scrapped with indecent haste, so started saving them at a time when their value was little more than as scrap. The first engine to arrive was the Burrell tractor Sunset No.2 which has now been at Hollycombe for over 50 years.
In the 1960s, he started saving traditional fairground rides before these beautifully decorated rides and organs, and their engines, disappeared under the onslaught of petrol and diesel lorries, chromium plate and blaring loudspeakers. Among the rides saved were several which are unique or the sole survivors of their type.
From these beginnings, Mr Baldock felt encouraged to open his growing collection to the public but this took four years of struggling to achieve. It was possible to open the collection to the public for 28 days in the year without planning consent and that was how it all started, but the need to open on more days meant trying to get planning approval on a more formal basis which was rejected.
At last, the right to open for a restricted number of days was won, which in fact covered most Sundays and Bank Holidays in the season.
Hollycombe opened to the public in 1971 and for ten years was enjoyed by many thousands of visitors but, at the end of the 1981 season with ever rising costs, the fairground rides were sold and Hollycombe settled into a lesser existence and soldiered on for another three years until at the end of 1984 Mr Baldock made the sad decision that the collection had to close.
However, this was not the end, for six weeks before Easter 1985, the volunteer drivers made an agreement with Mr Baldock to take over the running of Hollycombe. Thus was born the Hollycombe Steam & Woodland Garden Society which ran Hollycombe until about ten years ago. This was a society of unpaid volunteers, quite a few of whom have been at Hollycombe since before the society was formed.
It had always concerned both Mr Baldock and society members what the future would hold after he passed on. For a number of years he had worked hard to set up a charitable trust to which ownership of the collection at Hollycombe could be transferred. The trust, the Hollycombe Working Steam Museum, was formed in 1997 and an application was made to the Heritage Lottery Fund for a grant to purchase most of the collection from Mr Baldock. After a year, and careful consideration of the
case, the good news that a grant had been made was announced in July 1998 and ownership of much of the collection passed to the trust late in 1998.
Today many of the same volunteers who were part of the original society that ran the museum for many years, still volunteer today along with many new ones, while some have become trustees and oversee the day to day management of the museum.
Further applications to the HLF resulted first in a grant to erect a building in which the fairground rides can be stored during the winter period (the green building beyond the Quarry Railway), and, more recently, a grant to improve the educational facilities available at Hollycombe to enable the history of steam power in a rural setting to be told.
Without history there is no future and, although steam as a major source of power has gone out of favour after 250 years, it is still the way in which the majority of electricity in the United Kingdom is generated, as well as being important in many industrial processes. However, here at Hollycombe, it is the various uses to which steam power was used in the countryside that we focus on.
The HLF grant has enabled Hollycombe’s educational and visitor facilities to be modernised and, more than 45 years after Hollycombe first opened, we continue to look forward to the exciting challenges which lie ahead, while remembering the achievements of the past.


Visit us



Iron Hill,



GU30 7LP

Dover Transport Museum3.jpg

Dover Transport Museum

The Dover Transport Museum is a charming transportation museum located in Whitfield, England. It features a variety of vintage transport exhibits, including old-timey cars, buses, locomotives, and even a model train set. 
The museum is set in nearly two acres of attractive grounds and offers ample free car and coach parking. It is the only museum of its kind in Kent and is a registered charity. Visitors can explore two large galleries that showcase the fascinating collection of vintage transport and historical items.
If you're interested in transport history or simply enjoy nostalgic exhibits, the Dover Transport Museum is definitely worth a visit. The knowledgeable guides, who are all volunteers, are also available to provide assistance and make your experience enjoyable.

Dover Transport Museum6
Dover Transport Museum4
Dover Transport Museum5
Dover Transport Museum1
Dover Transport Museum2
Dover Transport Museum

Visit us



Willingdon Road


CT16 2JX

Tel: 01304 822409


bottom of page