top of page

Channel Islands


Alderney Railway

The Alderney Railway on Alderney is the only railway in the Bailiwick of Guernsey, and the only working railway in the Channel Islands. (There is a standard gauge railway at the Pallot Heritage Steam Museum in Jersey, but this provides no actual transport link, only pleasure rides.) The Alderney Railway opened in 1847 and runs for about 2 miles (3.2 km), mostly following a coastal route, from Braye Road to Mannez Quarry and Lighthouse.


The railway is run by volunteers and usually operates during summer weekends and bank holidays.


The railway was built by the British Government in the 1840s and opened in 1847. Its original purpose was to carry stone from the eastern end of the island to build the breakwater and the Victorian era forts.

Queen Victoria used the railway on three Royal visits to Alderney. On the first visit with Prince Albert on 8 August 1854, the Royal couple rode on a horse-drawn railway tender.

There are two stations on the line: Mannez Quarry and Braye Road

Alderney_Train. 1jpeg

Visit us


Alderney,                                            Channel Islands,                              GY9 3DA   


+44 7911 739572 

bottom of page